How do I request a cancellation ?

Reservations Team
Reservations Team
  • Created
In order to get your Japan Rail Pass canceled, you need to send your unused voucher to one of our offices below preferably by registered mail or any secured transportation way such as FedEx): Japan Experience Suite 14 137-139 High Street Beckenham London BR3 1AG UNITED KINGDOM Japan Experience 100 W Broadway, Suite 3000 Long Beach, CA 90802 USA Japan Experience 30 rue Sainte Anne 75 001 Paris FRANCE Once we receive your ticket, you will be reimbursed, less the cancellation fee and you will receive an email confirming the cancellation. Please note that the refund can take between 2 and 4 weeks.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.