With what sort of driving licence can you drive in Japan?

Reservations Team
Reservations Team
  • Created
Please be aware, it is not possible to drive in Japan with just your driving licence issued in your home country. This is not sufficient and you will not be allowed to collect a rental car and will be prosecuted if caught driving in Japan.

To drive in Japan you need to have either of the following types of documentation:

Case n ° 1: If your driving licence is issued by one of the countries that signed the 1949 Geneva Convention with Japan, you can drive in Japan with the international license for a period of up to 1 year. after this period, you must obtain a Japanese Driving Licence.

To drive in Japan, you must bring: International Driving Permit + Passport + Home Country Driving Licence

Case n ° 2: Nationals holding a driver's licence from France, Belgium, Germany, Monaco, Switzerland and Taiwan are unable to use the International Driving Permits issued in these countries. To be able to drive in Japan you must obtain an official translation in Japanese of their driving licence issued by the JAF (Japan Automobile Association).

Some countries have signed the Geneva Convention, but issue their international permits on the model of the Vienna Convention. This is the case, for example, of France, whose international permits are not valid in Japan.

To drive in Japan, you must bring: Home Country Driving Licence + Passport + Official Japanese Translation of Licence

Please note: The regulations for driving in Japan change and do change often so we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information contained herein, not be held responsible for any situation arising from the use of the information contained on this page. If you have any doubts about the requirements to be able to drive in Japan, please consult your local Japanese Embassy.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.